Wednesday, September 7, 2016

#2


In Christensen's article, she discusses the way teachers often subject students to harsh criticisms and systematic disadvantages based on their assumed "inadequacy" as a result of their SES (Socioeconomis status). For example, her teacher made her stand in front of the class and pronounce words in her "incorrect" way, as compared to the pronunciation of a girl in a higher economic class (Christensen, 100). Christensen discusses the desire of teachers to provide students with a handle on Standard Edited English for career and academic purposes, and the harmful ways in which that desire manifests. In chapter 1 of Grammar Alive, three goals are discussed—of which, Goals B and C are most relevant to my interpretation of the Christensen article [use of an em dash to emphasize the importance of Goals B and C, and to highlight that I might focus on these goals in the sentences following]. Using culturally responsive teaching (attempting to understand and incorporate students' backgrounds and communities in their education to avoid unfair assumptions and exclusion) is very important to me as a future teacher. Goal B explains that there are different varieties of writing and English language that are appropriate for different contexts, instead of only academic, Edited English being the only correct form. This reflects the huge variety of uses for the English language, and emphasizes that it's illogical to only force SAE on students, as they use colloquial and informal communication more often. Goal C urges the reader to reflect on students' cultures and language varieties and to view them as valid and correct. Respecting the rules for grammar and language in their varieties is important because it validates the student's identity, and encourages other students to respect each other as well—if teachers refuse to acknowledge the rules of grammar that students follow in their home languages, they will never get recognized for their efforts, and a major part of their identity will be dismissed or deemed incorrect [em dash used to emphasize the latter part of the sentence].


I chose to experiment with em dashes in this piece in order to emphasize my main points. Persuasive writing seems more powerful when em dashes are used, and I always feel uncertain about my own use. For some reason, it always feels incorrect when I try to place them in my writing, since the rules have always seemed unclear to me.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there Kenyah

    To first start off I have to say that you clearly understand whats going on in both the article and in the chapters. Specially regarding the goals stated in chapter 1. The goals I thought, personally, are key concepts in teaching. Then relaying back to the article about teaching Standard English, and letting students understand instead of pushing it on to them.

    As for the grammar, you totally got it. Looking at the sheet we got in class i see that you matched parentheses, brackets, and dashes (the punches). From what I can see awesome job and see you in class next week.

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Kenyah

    To first start off I have to say that you clearly understand whats going on in both the article and in the chapters. Specially regarding the goals stated in chapter 1. The goals I thought, personally, are key concepts in teaching. Then relaying back to the article about teaching Standard English, and letting students understand instead of pushing it on to them.

    As for the grammar, you totally got it. Looking at the sheet we got in class i see that you matched parentheses, brackets, and dashes (the punches). From what I can see awesome job and see you in class next week.

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you used em dashes because I love them as well. It adds such a bold statement to your blog. I like that you incorporated the goals into this because as aspiring teachers I don't think a lot of us realized the importance of grammar, especially the cultural aspect of it. Another way you could have created that dramtic, bold statement was by using a semi colon (although I also like dashes better)

    Brandie Roueche

    ReplyDelete